"you need to relax" might seem like a comical statement to many entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs don't have time to relax. Do they?
In the eyes of a dedicated and goal-oriented entrepreneur, the mere thought of taking time out of a busy workday is unrealistic. There is so much to do, and so little time. How will things ever get done if an entrepreneur takes a break - even for just one day?
It may seem completely counterintuitive to believe that taking a break can result in higher productivity. However, relaxing - even for just a day or two - can actually cause a person to work harder and have better ideas upon their return to the office.
It's Time to Take a Break!
If you are an entrepreneur, and you simply cannot bear to leave your work for more than a few hours at a time, try using these techniques or escapes to help you relax:
- Get a professional massage at least once a week
- Turn off your cell phone, iPad, computer and all other devices during the evening hours
- Read a good book for at least an hour a day
- Take time to sit down and eat meals with your family and/or friends without allowing outside interruptions
- Spend time outdoors each afternoon or evening with your children
- Set time aside each day to exercise
- Take time to focus on a creative outlet for an hour a day (such as painting, drawing, gardening, etc.)
If Possible, Go Out of Town for a Few Days
With proper advanced planning, it should be possible to schedule a short vacation away from the office. If you allow yourself this type of break, chances are you will return to your office feeling great and ready to take on new challenges.
- Try to keep your mobile devices turned off during the majority of your vacation
- Pick a vacation spot that does not have WiFi
- Ask your fellow travelers to remind you that you should not be working during your vacation
- Continually remind yourself that things can wait until you return to the office
Your Body and Your Business Will Appreciate Your Time Off!
Taking a break from a constantly busy, stressful, and full-speed-ahead lifestyle will do wonders for your body as well as your business. If you are under constant pressure to come up with ideas, meet deadlines, make it to meetings on time, and more, your body is likely worn down and tired. By taking a break for a few days, your body will have time to relax and re-charge. After a break from the office, you will undoubtedly return to work feeling calm and energized, which is a great combination for any entrepreneur.